The Environmental Working Group is the bomb. From their Green Tips article, how to lower toxin exposure by food choice, cookware, storage and heating practices. Plus other must-read EWG links.
- Choose fresh foods (vs. canned or packaged) to cut exposure from pesticides, hormones, artificial additives, and food packaging chemicals. Get specifics!
- Choose organic when possible; non-organic from EWG’s “Clean 15” is ok.
- Use non-toxic cast-iron, stainless steel or oven-safe glass cookware.
- See tips for skipping non-stick. If “stuck” with it – never heat an empty pan, especially at high heat, don’t use in an oven > 500 degrees, and use the stove’s exhaust fan.
- Skip plastic food containers if you can. If you can’t, pick plastics carefully.
- Don’t microwave food or drinks in plastics, even if “microwave-safe.”
- If you already own plastic containers, handle carefully – use for only cold food or liquids, and wash by hand or in the top rack of dishwasher.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink